What People are Saying About RN Patient Advocates
Subscribe To Our eNewsletter
Complimentary Purchasing Guide to
Organic and NonOrganic Food
We will never sell
your email address
- So, if chemicals in our food, water, cleaning products, air and the surrounding environment can make us fat, what foods can help flush these out of our bodies (detox)?
- We are only 10% human. What? Microbes outnumber human cells by 10 to 1 and are essential to our health.
- Ever wonder what BPA (bisphenol-A) actually is? What is all the controversy about? Is it really harmful?
- Karen Mercereau
- Smaller than a walnut, no heavier than a grape…affects every function in our bodies. What? Your Adrenal Glands! Unsung hero of our bodies.
- How’s your memory? How high is your blood sugar? Can these two things possibly be related?
- Dealing with chronic or autoimmune illness? There is a new approach: Functional Medicine. Asking the question “why?”, it investigates the root cause of disease.
Do You Need A Health Detective
... Call your RN Patient Advocate!
I bring more than 45 years of clinical nursing, community and home-based healthcare delivery along with patient advocacy experience to my work as an independent RN Patient Advocate. My expertise has always been in the recognition of nursing as a dynamic process and in the development of systems reflecting that in the ever-changing world of healthcare. This focus led me to such diverse activities as serving as clinical instructor to paramedics, working with the team establishing the first Hospice in Tucson, AZ, and specializing in the intensive care areas of hospitals.
My professional intention: I am an independent RN Patient Advocate because I believe that the best healthcare should be patient-centered and inclusive of all science-based healing approaches available. People deserve to be a vital part of their own health care team. My work as an iRNPA allows me to:
- be a positive force for change in a healthcare system that has become fragmented
- reduce my clients’ risk of medical errors
- ensure the integrity of the diagnostic process
- research and teach the full range of therapeutic options so people can make fully informed decisions about their care
- be a teacher and guide for patients and their families facing medical issues beyond their level of understanding
- facilitate communication in our medical system whose communication patterns are too often strained or interrupted by outdated approaches.
- Integrative/Functional Medicine
- Patient advocacy
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Neurodegenerative disease treatment/management (ex. Parkinson’s Disease)
- Pediatric intensive care
- Surgical preparation and recovery
- Intensive care medicine
- Cancer treatment options
- Autoimmune disease medicine
For the past several years I have heard and witnessed the negative experiences my friends and relatives have had during and after hospital stays. In July 2009 I was told that I had an aneurysm in my aorta that needed repairing. My best friend told me about Karen Mercereau an R. N. that specialized as a “Patient’s Advocate” I met with her and immediately retained her to represent me. Before, during and after the procedure she did such an outstanding job of representing me that I will never enter a hospital again without having her, her experience and knowledge beside me. She got along famously with the Doctor’s and Nurses because she knows what she is talking about.
Larry Dellheim Tucson, AZ
I requested that an RN Patient Advocate assist in my care/oversight of my Aunt while I was out of town. As an RN with 28 years experience, I have a certain standard I expect from caregivers; these were sorely lacking in her current setting. My RN Patient Advocate had experice with legal nursing/healthc are issues and was a Godsend during this stressful time. With her help, my Aunt received appropriate care, was monitored on a daily basis and was relocated to another home. Thank you so much. RN Patient Advocates fill an important niche that has been lost in our impersonal, high-tech/low touch health care system.
Karen Brown, RN, PhD Tucson, AZ
It is important to recognize and commend the very professional and compassionate help that our RN Patient Advocate provided for our mutual patient, DA. This patient sustained a rupture of a colon. Her surgical treatment did not immediately resolve the problem and she developed fistulae, peritonitis and septicemia. When the RN Patient Advocate – asked to see DA because of fragmentation in her care- first saw her, she was seriously ill and death seemed imminent. The Advocate’s intercession with the physicians, nurses and paramedical personnel was persistent, yet impressively diplomatic and professional. Her efforts resulted in a much more coordinated and rational treatment program and improved communication between all caregivers. My conviction is that she quite literally saved this patient’s life. This new service of an RN Patient Advocate is quite obviously greatly needed in today’s medical milieu.
J.G. McGregor, MD
- Arizona Nurses Association – a chapter of the American Nurses Association
- National Network of RN Patient Advocates
- Tucson Holistic Health Initiative for Nurses
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- Nurse Entrepreneur Network